Cloud storage is the new hype word in the technology world. The process of migrating to cloud server from the local server is tedious. It involves many strategies in successful cloud migration. This article is aimed at educating the readers about the cloud migration strategy that is in use.
Before migrating your data or application to the cloud, you must understand that the process involves challenges. Your migration strategy should be well-planned and executed that aligns with your line of business. Moving of data application first in the cloud is solely based on the readiness and appropriateness of your application and data.
Benefits of Migrating to a cloud platform
Cloud migration can be defined as, “Moving the digital business operations to the cloud storage”. The cloud storage has three types of delivery models as a service capability and they are: a) Software as a Service (SaaS) b) Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and c) Platform as a Service (PaaS).
Cloud platforms are beneficial since it addresses the needs of organisations such as technical, financial and organisational needs. Few other benefits are:
- Remote collaboration
- Better work-life balance
- Better storage
- Disaster recovery
- Automation of tasks
- Faster setup
- Less maintenance
- Zero risk failure
- Maximum uptime
The corporates migrate to the cloud server to cater their needs when they have challenges in handling customers at different geographical locations, and requirements of data storage. Cloud server acts as a perfect place to save the data.
The reasons why corporates migrate to cloud server according to Gartner in Decision Point for “Choosing a Cloud Migration Strategy for Applications “ published on 20 November 2018, the following are the requirements and constraints for migrating.
- Migration Goals and Priorities
- Legacy Application Characteristics
- Modernization Requirements
- Development and Operations Skills Constraints
- Migration Cost Factors
Characteristics of a Good Migration Strategy
Developers face challenges while migrating their application or data to the cloud. They have to be made ready. Once the migration is complete, they have to be tuned for the cloud platform. A migration strategy should ease you through the process. It should help you set up your cloud server environment hassle-free.
Based on the complexity of the application, the migration strategy should vary for each business. The following are the characteristics of a good migration strategy and they are:
- Address long-term goals like alignment between information technology and business objectives.
- Address short-term goals such as decreasing hosting cost.
In a clearer explanation of the characteristics of a good cloud migration process, the following few steps have to be done.
Having a secured cloud
Cloud security is very important, as we share the space with total strangers in the cloud servers. SSL certificates are the best solution for cloud security. Using HTTPS is readily available, extremely flexible and at an affordable cost.
Keep your cloud secured
Another major challenge faced by the developers is keeping the cloud secure. Protection of cloud server is a big risk. Do not create the root access key unless it is required. Find an industry-standard scenario to a) loss of credentials, b) key rotation and c) how to respond to key theft.
Backup your cloud
It is advisable to back up the cloud storage regularly. Also, test your resources even before the need arises. Put yourself on guard for an unexpected scenario. The following are some of the points to consider.
- Frequent backup using tools or snapshots
- Application’s critical component deployment across different Availability Zones
- Data duplication as application
- Dynamic IP addressing whenever restarting the design applications
- Monitors events constantly
- Responds to events in a timely fashion
- Failover handling
- Mutually attach a network interface
- Test the recovery of your instances for possible failures
Selection of hosting environment
The cloud environment in which you are going to deploy your cloud application should be agile to accept the changes. The following are some of the essential features:
- Flexibility on vertical solutions and horizontal solutions
- One-click delivery
- Capturing usage and data bills
- Back up
- Data redundancy
Formulate a migration strategy that fits with your application datasets. Companies have a tough time migrating their data without proper planning. By clearing setting out your migration strategy one could save 70% of the cost spent on it.
Cloud Migration Strategy
The process of cloud migration has few steps such as: a) assess b) pilot testing c) initiate migration d) move applications and e) optimize. There are phases of migration and they are: a) Migration Preparation and Business Planning b) Discovery and Planning c) Designing the Migration d) Migrating and Validating Applications and e) Operations
Let us not keep you waiting to know about the migration strategies. There are six migration strategies and they are the ‘6Rs’:
- Repurchase or Drop and Shop
- Rehost or Lift and Shift
- Replatform or Lift, Tinker and Shift
- Refactor or Re Architect
- Retire or Get rid of
- Retain or Revisit
Rehosting or ‘Lift and Shift Migration Technique’
Rehosting or the lift and shift cloud migration techniques is one of the earliest techniques used in cloud migration. In simple words, taking all the data from the system and moving it to the cloud without any changes in the application code is called rehosting. Some of its features are as follows:
- It is the simplest migration technique.
- It is called lift and shift because we lift the code out of an environment and move it to a new one
- Lesser time requirement
- Fewer resources required to execute the migration
- Fastest of all migration techniques as it does not have any code modification
- It is not the most efficient technique
- Fewer benefits of native cloud functionalities
- Lesser tools are used in this migration technique
- Same functionality of the application as in physical server is exhibited
- The app does not show flexibility and scalability of cloud server
- Automated rehosting tools are AWS VM Export or Import and Racemi
- Easier to optimize the application when once they are running in the cloud
This cloud migration strategy is best suited for large scale legacy applications. It is mainly sued for specific applications. You can do the rehosting as one of the following ways:
- Identifying the cloud based applications that can work without any modification in the code
- Using this as preliminary stage and re architect the cloud applications later.
Replatforming or ‘Lift, Tinker and Shift Migration Technique’
This technique needs a small alteration in the code to make it suitable for the cloud environment. It is very similar to rehosting. The following are some of the perks using this technique for cloud migration and they are as follows:
- Benefits form automation
- Creates suitable databases
- Add new features to the application while migrating
- Better scalability
- Benefits form the reserved resources of the cloud
- With minimum code modification, we can integrate the native cloud features to the applications
- Very cost-effective solution
- The cloud adjustment to the previous environment is unnecessary
- You can save up more
- Cloud prices are based on the storage of the database
- Project scope can change with the process of cloud migration
- This may even become refactor is not checked properly
- To mitigate the risk scope needs to be managed
- Avoid unnecessary changes during the cloud migration process
- Some of the AWS services are CARBS (Amazon Relational Database Services) or Amazon elastic beanstalk
- Save licensing costs
- Gain agility of the application while migrating
Many applications will require only a small change in code before migration. The following are some of the tips to be considered before migration and they are:
- Identify the lesser modification requiring an application and use replatforming cloud migration technique
- Despite the small modification, the testing and monitoring of the migrated applications are crucial.
- Well suited for organisations that cannot afford to restructure of the cloud.
Refactoring or Re Architect Migration Technique
Refactor migration is the complete change in code to make the application suitable for the cloud environment. Hence this method is called re architect cloud migration technique. Some of the features of this technique are described as follows:
- Most of the code structure is altered
- Better suited application
- Cloud environment benefits are enjoyed at a large scale.
- Switching to the cloud-native framework
- Overall improvement in performance and efficiency
- We can specially design the application to meet the requirements of AKS and GKE
- It is remaking the application and architecture for the cloud-native features
- Strong business needs to scale the performance
- Boosts agility in the monolithic architecture
- Improves the business continuity
- Most expensive cloud migration strategy
- It has the most beneficial features
- Tailored fit applications are created
- It is a complex migration process
- It is are a resource-intensive process
- It takes a lot of time to migrate to the cloud server
- Refactoring a large part of the business
- Longer time and more resource-intensive migration process
When there is a large business need for the following, we require this migration technique:
- development agility,
- scalability or
We need to consider a few points before actually migrating into the cloud and they are:
- the whole process of migration is costly
- it takes up time to set up and so it may require to stop the regular activities before the server is ready
- once we select it, there is no coming back in half the way.
Repurchase or ‘Drop and Shop’ Migration Technique
It is similar to moving a content management service to Drupal or a customer relationship management to salesforce.com. It is moving to a different product or different service as SaaS. The following will tell you why repurchasing is the best idea to use as cloud migration for your SaaS:
- It is tailored to your business needs
- It is an efficient technique
- It is the fastest way to migrate
- It takes the existing data and sets up the same data on the cloud with few tool’s help
- It decommissions the applications and replace it with a cloud based version
- Lesser effort than lift and shift
- Continues with a new license on the cloud
Some of the points to consider before using repurchasing as the cloud migration technique:
- Identify the legacy applications that no longer are sued and those which are dropped to save costs. Examples of legacy applications are: CRM, ERP, finance or HR applications
- Identify the application that are incompatible with the lift and shift migration techniques
By using this application as SaaS we may get an improved featured set as benefits.
Retire or ‘Get Rid of’ Migration Technique
Any application that has the potential to migrate will help you assess the value of product, service, or application. By understanding the least productive application you can reduce the cost while migration. Applications that are erroneous and the applications which crash can be retired. The applications which are to be decommissioned or consolidated with other applications can be retired. Some of the benefits are:
- Cost benefits
- Lessen surface area
- Concentrating more on other useful applications
Retain or Revisit Migration Technique
This is also a passive migration. If you have an application that you do not use often then revisit migration is the best technique. Some of the reasons are:
- Some of the application which businesses insist being on premises
- Legacy operating systems
- Businesses which adheres to strict regulatory compliance
- Applications that require very high performance
- Application that are well on existing server
These are the different cloud migration strategies that are widely used by the businesses. You can choose your migration strategy based on the applications, products and services you offer.
Cuelogic and its Cloud Migration Services
There is always a good migration technique that needs to be worked out. At Cuelogic, we take special care in creating the best migration strategies based on your business needs. We cater all your cloud migration needs such as:
- Infrastructure migration
- Data migration
- Platform migration
- Application migration
We have well expertise professionals who can help you determine the right cloud migration tool, the formulation of the migration techniques and type of cloud platform. We have a proven successful process in the challenging cloud migration areas.
- Assess – Our experts will conduct a technical assessment on your current infrastructure and instantly gives you the scalable options
- Migrate – We help you build a sustaining cloud environment for application deployment and data migration
- Optimization – Once your applications reach the cloud environment test and train the application for a longer run.
With Cuelogic, you receive faster and secure cloud migration service, and automated processes at affordable costs. We have well-skilled professionals who can train your personnel for the new cloud environment.