PHP is one of the programming languages which has emerged as the most powerful web development language in a very short span of a time. And that is why an increased number of frameworks are available in the web market with their own set of tools and functionality to assist developer to complete their projects better and faster, no matter project is small or large in size.
PHP is a leader in web market:
- PHP is incredibly popular language and still growing very rapidly and trying to exceed the developer’s expectations.
- According to 'w3techs.com' server side programming language PHP is used by 82% of all websites and of all these websites, 97.6% are using PHP5.
- Of all the web servers 75% are using PHP which is a general purpose server-side scripting language. The preeminent advantages of PHP are it is an open source, with a huge online community to support it and it is compatible across multiple platform.
- Its immense popularity can be noted from the verifiable truth that today it is installed on more than 2.7 million web servers worldwide and 244 million websites and web applications are running on PHP.
- Now a day India is the leader in the outsource web development, PHP development in India has covered 70% market of outsource web development across the world.
- 40% of all popular websites are using PHP (For example: Facebook, Yahoo, Overstock.com, WordPress, Flickr, Digg, Wikipedia). The fact is PHP technology has taken a rapid growth and place in IT industry and now leading the web market.
- Nowadays web development industry has been moving in an open source application development with PHP because PHP code can be simply mixed with HTML code or it can be used in combination with various templating engines and web frameworks
- PHP is available as open source , offers freely downloadable files and it is platform independent, it mean PHP code run on Linux, Unix, Mac OS, windows which are free and also the database connectivity is less expensive compare to that of program such as ASP. It can reduce cost, increase profit & productivity, level of quality and business performance. Time reduction is also possible with PHP because it uses its own memory space and thus decrease the loading time and workload from the server. Eventually process speed is fast and app developed faster by it, which is good for Startups.
- PHP is a flexible, dynamic language that supports a variety of program techniques. It has evolved dramatically over the years notably adding a solid object oriented models.
- PHP5.5 has made major progress from earlier version with recent powerful new features and helpful developer tools release (such as built in web server, generators for simpler iteration and namespaces).
- With PHP5.4 traits were introduced to allow code re-use in single inheritance language, as well as closures which allows you to code PHP in a functional style.
- Built in FastCGI process manager and PHPdbg debugger and a new password hashing API that make it easy to hash and security, manage password in PHP.
What makes PHP so popular?
- One primary benefit of PHP over a compiled language is ease of maintenance because PHP is designed from the ground up for HTTP traffic; there is less to build than with most other compiled language.
- PHP is evolving much faster compared to Ruby, ASP, Java, Perl, Python web development technologies. Despite the change over the year PHP is still the easiest language to learn for non-technical people. It allows anyone to create dynamic websites faster than any other technology. It allows anyone to host websites cheaply and without any hassles. PHP has a better dependency manager than any other language.
- Having a good language is a great, but having a great ecosystem is even better and the PHP ecosystem has evolved a lot in the last few years.
- Many excellent blogs and Websites are built using WordPress which is also built on PHP. Blogs are the most common contents of internet in today’s world people with minimum technical knowledge operates their blogs, this was made possible by simple language like PHP.
What would be the future of PHP?
- If you know even a bit of PHP you can use it to create a web service that feeds your application and its content. Zend has already launched PHPcloud.com a website that allows you to setup development environment in the cloud.
- The mobile revolution is going to change things a lot within the next few years. Mobile applications are very much depends on the cloud, to a certain extent this is going to grow and that cloud is going to be the next space to be in within next coming years and PHP is going to be a big contributor to this.
- There is been a lot of buzz in the community lately around PHP and its future. The vast majority of this buzz has been distinctly positive, which is awesome to hear. There's been a lot of talk about PHP next version after PHP5.x and by the voting process to choose the next major version PHP6 is skeeped and PHP7 is already chosen, it has many advancement such as huge performance improvement, Just In Time engine, abstract syntax Tree etc.
- Thousands of CMS that supports PHP are freely available CMS in support to PHP provides the efficient way to publish websites easily, which is very good move for the future of PHP.
- Regular releases in PHP are a way to maintain future existence. Day to day modification for using PHP is being done by developing new technologies, new frameworks to support PHP coding. This is a major advantage for PHP future.
- Object oriented frameworks like ZEND is in market that is working like a booster for a PHP web app development, CMS that supports working on PHP providing extendable plug-ins to extend the features for using PHP.