Testlink and Installation Steps
Testlink (Test Management Tool)
Testlink Tool Features:
- Open source (free to use) test management tool.
- Requirement mapping can be done.
- Organize test cases dynamically.
- Track of test cases execution results.
- Can integrate with bug tracking tool like Mantis.
- Can view multiple reports/charts.
What is Testlink?
Testlink is open source web based Test Management Tool for organizing and managing test projects requirements, test plan, test suits, test cases, user management, test reports of execution. (Right now we are preparing all documents in different sheets, instead of using Testlink to manage everything at single place.)
Basic Units of Testlink:
Test Project: Test projects are the basic organizational unit of test link. This is name of your project which includes Requirement specification, Test Specification, Test Plan and specific rights to the users.
Requirement Specification: It includes the user and system requirements.
Test Plan: It includes whole testing activity with test environment, test tools, test schedules and testing methods.
Test Specification: It breaks down into Test Suites(To organize multiple test cases into test suites) and Test Cases(Set of input and output conditions with expected result).
Build Management: Builds are specific release of software. If no builds are created then execution screen will not allow you to execute test cases.
User Management: Each user have some specific role for particular project. Also user can have modified role for particular test plan as well.
Test Reports and Metrics: There are different reports which show results across multiple test plans.
How to install Testlink on local machine(Windows only)?
1. Download latest version of XAMPP (22.214.171.124) for Windows. Below are the system requirements of Xampp (latest version) required for Testlink tool:
- Apache 2.2.21
- MySQL 5.5.16
- PHP 5.3.8
- phpMyAdmin 3.4.5
- Filezilla FTP Server 0.9.39
- Tomcat 7.0.21
2. After downloading, install the xmpp-installer.exe file.
3. Install Apache, MYSQL, and Filezilla as service in installation wizard
4. Download 1.9.9 latest version of Testlink from the following link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/testlink/files/TestLink%201.9/TestLink%201.9.9/
5. Now, unzip the testlink-1.9.9.tar file and rename the folder as “Testlink”
6. In Xampp application start the Apache and Mysql server.
7. Go to Testlink package and open “config.inc.php” file, update path “$tlCfg->log_path” and “$g_repositoryPath” as below:
Paths given in file:
$tlCfg-> log_path = ‘/var/Testlink/logs/’;
$g_repositoryPath = ‘/var/testlink/upload area/’;
Updated Path: ( Specify name of drive in which you installed xampp )
$tlCfg-> log_path = ‘D:/xampp/htdocs/testlink/logs/’;
$g_repositoryPath = ‘D:/xampp/htdocs/testlink/upload area/’;
8. Hit the url http://localhost/testlink/install/index.php in your browser
9. Click “New installation” link.
10. Provide Testlink admin and Database admin login credentials:
a) Testlink admin login/password: whatever you can use (ex. cuelogic/cuelogic)
b) Database admin login/password : root/<empty> (Default login/password of MYSQL for xampp)
11. Now hit the URL http://localhost/testlink/login.php in browser and use Testlink login as admin/admin.
To learn how to use Testlink test management tool, click link given below: http://www.cuelogic.com/blog/how-to-use-testlink-test-management-tool-3
(Article by Ashwini Ghule, reposted here)